Lamar Advertising suing C.P.

Discussion board for anything related to Local News & Events.

Postby Ray Gun » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:41 pm

CROWN POINT: Council rejected the company's special-use request

CROWN POINT | Lamar Advertising believes Crown Point should have accepted its $250,000 investment.

Lamar is suing the city for turning down its special-use request to put up a digital LED billboard Jan. 3. The company would have replaced its existing billboard at 810 N. Main St. with the new technology.

Councilwoman Carol Drasga said she didn't feel the digital billboard was a proper welcome to Crown Point.

"I have a problem with it being so close to our historical district," she said during the meeting. "I guess I'm trying to fight modernization."

The City Council denied the special use request in a 5-2 vote. Council members Andrew Kyres and Steve Farley voted against the motion and said they were in favor of the LED billboard.

"Our stance is that we were correct and had every right to do what we did," Assistant City Attorney Pat Schuster said. "(The City Council decided) this was not for Crown Point. ... The bottom line is we don't think they met the statutory requirements for getting a special use. They're just not happy."

The proposal would have replaced the existing tri-wave billboard with a digital billboard that flashed a different advertisement every eight seconds. Lamar Advertising also offered the city a free spot on the board.

A representative from Lamar Advertising could not be reached for comment.

Schuster said the city has requested a change of venue from the circuit court in which the case was filed.

From Tuesday, February 13, 2007 11:54 PM CST
BY MARISA KWIATKOWSKI
mkwiatkowski@nwitimes.com
Ray Gun

Return to Local News & Events