Developer found for I 65 and US 231

Discussion board for anything related to Crown Point's Future

Developer found for I 65 and US 231

Postby Ray Gun » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:42 am

Chicago developer found for property

CROWN POINT -- The city has found a company to develop the 40-plus acres near Interstate 65 and U.S. 231.

Harlem Irving Cos., a Chicago-based developer and owner of retail complexes and shopping centers, has the property under contract from current owner Lauth Properties, Mayor Dan Klein said.

"It might not have closed at this point, but they have signed a deal," Klein said.

Crown Point denied Lauth's attempt to build a Wal-Mart on the property in early 2006. Lauth filed a lawsuit against the city. The suit is pending in Lake County Superior Court.

"My statement then was, 'We can do better.' This is showing we can do better," Klein said. "We're excited about this."

Harlem retail development could include an open-air plaza with retail shops, restaurants, walkways and landscaping.

"It will be aesthetically pleasing," Klein said. "They're going to help set the tone for that corridor, just as St. Anthony did."

St. Anthony Medical Center is currently building a $39 million, 83,500-square-foot complex near the interchange. It will feature diagnostic imaging, urgent care and a fieldhouse dedicated to physical therapy and sports training and medicine.

Klein has called the I-65/U.S. 231 interchange the "most underdeveloped intersection in Chicagoland." He said Harlem's development will make the area "a showplace for Crown Point."

Harlem owns 15 retail complexes in Chicago and surrounding communities in Illinois, including Harlem Irving Plaza, a popular 700,000-square-foot open air shopping center near O'Hare International Airport.

Tenants in Harlem developments include Linens N' Things, Bath and Body Works, New York & Co., Panera Bread, Pier 1, Home Depot, Best Buy, The Limited and Marshalls.

March 10, 2007

BY CAROLINA PROCTER Post-Tribune staff writer
Ray Gun

Re: Developer found for I 65 and US 231

Postby rock star » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:01 pm

Does anyone know what is going on with this project?
rock star

Return to Future of Crown Point