Fear of a Racially Integrated Crown Point

Discussion board for anything related to Crown Point's Future

Fear of a Racially Integrated Crown Point

Postby bull dog » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:52 pm

It is my belief that much of the concern regarding the master plan and zoning issues in general for future housing located in Crown Point seems to revolve around the fear of minorities coming into Crown Pont. Those in the fear camp believe that their property values will decrease, crime will increase, and the belief that in general the quality of life in our community will decrease as a result of integration.

Do you agree that the primary fear of multi-family housing is fear of minorities? How do most of you feel about Crown Point becoming more racially integrated? Do you believe that the net effect will be positive or negative?
bull dog

Postby -={ARCLIGHT}=- » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:39 pm

Dude, I don't know if you are new around here but there used to be a really nice place called Glen Park and/or Merrillville. It is not really a race problem as much as a socioeconomic one.
-={ARCLIGHT}=-

Postby Black Mamba » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:48 pm

Dude, I don't know if you are new around here but there used to be a really nice place called Glen Park and/or Merrillville. It is not really a race problem as much as a socioeconomic one.

I think Merrillville is still a really nice place.

It's true that Merrillville used to be all white and now it is racially integrated. But the schools are very good, the crime is not too bad, and the homes are being maintained. The minorities that have moved there take pride in their homes. They are essentially middle class minorities who want a better life for their children as opposed to an ever expanding gheto from Gary.

Please define the socioeconic problem you speak of.
Black Mamba

Postby Occidental » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:08 pm

Black Mamba wrote:I think Merrillville is still a really nice place.

Last time I drove through, there were lots of empty buildings where the used to be businesses. Also lots of "clearance/discount" stores where retail used to flourish.
Occidental

Postby Up All Night » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:47 pm

I think a little racial integration would be a good thing. I know people in Crown Point that have never sat down and had a conversation with a black person.
Up All Night

Postby Wild Man » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:04 am

When Merrillville became integrated, the property values fell. When my parents sold their house a few years ago, they could only sell it for about 50% of an equivelent home in Crown Point. The black faimly that bought it I'm sure was laughing their asses off. I don't want the same thing to happen in CP.
Wild Man

Postby steve1234567890 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:38 pm

I'm personally all for minorities moving into the community. However the problem comes when white people decide that they have to move NOW! because they don't want their little angels going to school with that little black boy or girl. Most of the minorities that would be moving here are making either an equal or greater value than their white counterparts and have decided that they want to move to a better place to raise their families. They don't mind living near white people and probably have similar intrests. The huge issue comes in when ignorance convinces white people that this black family is a family of drug dealers, theives and murders and they flee the area. Its an issue because then things do go downhill because property levels drop (not because of a minority family moving in but because white people are stupid) and then people of lower standards of lifestyle can afford to move in.
steve1234567890

Postby Scouter1976 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:02 am

I moved to Crown Point because it seemed like a nice save place to live. It had good school systems, small town charm, seems safe, and is a thriving area. I came from the south suburbs of chicago (Park Forest, Matteson, Richton Park). Those used to be thriving areas as well. They are no more.. The area has changed and not for the better. Lincoln Mall failed, the area looks run down and trashy in many areas (park forest espically). I dont want to see the same thing happen to crown point. Yes, its part Socioeconomic. low income families/households will bring down an area. And its a snow ball effect..

As for the comment that Merrillville is a nice area? My wife came from that school system, and her family still lives there. I have family there and in the area.. Merrillville USED to be nice.. it isint anymore.. the school system stinks.. We avoided merrillville schools like the plague.. they will take any student they can get, even the ones that are kicked out of Gary schools.
Gary used to be nice too.. My father grew up there back in the 30s and 40s.. he worked at the Dairy.. but he saw it go down hill fast..

Dont let the rest of NW Indiana get like the South Suburbs of Chicago..
Dont let any sort of low income, or apartment type housing come in to Crown Point or any other area.. there are enough already..
Scouter1976

property values and multiple races

Postby ellaney » Thu May 26, 2005 10:37 pm

Raised in Crown Point from birth, 1964 - 83. My mom used to tell me stories about how blacks were not "allowed" in town after 5. I've lived all over the country and lived in all kinds of communities since that time, however, my brother still lives in Crown Town.

The issues that bring property values down involve crime, drugs and unemployment and that involves all races. Have been living in a subdivision in Southern California since 1997 and have seen our property values go from $180,000 to $540,000 for a 4 bedroom house on a concrete slab with a really tiny yard. My neighborhood has mixed races including two black families, two asian and two mexican as well as a few white. The white folks, including myself, don't keep our houses up as well as the other races in this neighborhood. We have had a shooting nearby in our park and it involved an Asian Gang but most problems are arising from the increasing numbers of illegal immigrants and our state's inability to pay for their "welfare" and we do expect the market to crash in a few years because of poor financial planning as a result of illegals not being managed properly. Of course it is so crowded here that it is a nightmare just going to the store but that's another story.

Crown Point just needs to be careful that they do not build to much to quickly and must pay for adequate police, fire and education. Create high expectations and keep standards high regardless of race. Make the first houses built unaffordable to low income folks and help bring in property taxes then build homes for lower middle class. I've been back to Crown Point in 1998 and not much had changed. I was surprised that CA seemed much cleaner and the lawns better manicured.

It is clearly not race that makes an area good or bad but attitude and financial status. The worst people I've ever lived near were white folks out in Massachusetts. Those folks were so mean they let an 80 old woman freeze to death outside because she forgot her key to her house and they couldn't be bothered. Massachusetts has a majority of mean sneaky crooked white folks. But folks of the same race tend to like to stick together no matter where I've lived. So having non-whites come into the community will not in itself ruin the community. Changes in attitudes will do it and the rest will crumble as folks stop caring about their community. Property values will drop and drugs, poverty and hopelessness will intercede. It's that self-fulfilling prophecy thing. :roll:

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

ejel
ellaney

Postby Sex in the City » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:45 am

Sex in the City

Postby steve1234567890 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:34 pm

Wow! Obviously some intelligence behind that post.

(oh and based on the intelligence behind that post I should probably point out that I'm being sarcastic if that word is a bit too big for you check out www.dictionary.com)

What I think is really sad is that the kkk claims to be a religious group. What I don't get is when Jesus preached about loving your neighbors and accepting those who were hated, so how can a group that claims to be a christian organization totally forget about the loving others section of the bible and instead focus on hate?

But I guess you can't expect much from someone who chooses to name themself after a show depicting a group of women acting like whores.
steve1234567890

Return to Future of Crown Point