Next Mayor of Crown Point

General Discussion board for anything related to Crown Point not covered in other forums.

Next Mayor of Crown Point

Postby Big Dog » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:22 pm

Crown Point developer ready to enter race for mayor
(http://www.post-trib.com/news/240321,cpmayor.article)

February 2, 2007

BY CAROLINA PROCTER Post-Tribune

A Crown Point developer and former Schererville politician says he wants to be Crown Point Mayor Dan Klein's Democratic opponent in the next election.

Dan Jordan, 77, said he will likely file his declaration of candidacy today or early next week.

"I'm 99.9 percent sure I'm going to do it," he said.

Jordan and his son run Master Marketing Jordan Realty in Crown Point, which has developed subdivisions in Crown Point, St. John and Schererville.

Though he voted Democrat in the 2006 primary, Jordan's voting record shows frequent jumps across party lines.

Before moving to Crown Point 10 years ago, Jordan was heavily involved in Schererville politics as a Republican, serving on the Town Council, Police Commission and Park Board.

Early in his career he chaired the St. John Township Democratic Party, and later served as a Republican appointee to the Lake County Property Tax Assessment Board of Appeals.

After word spread that state Rep. Bob Kuzman, D-Crown Point, decided not to run in the mayoral primary, Jordan "got about 15 to 20 calls from people asking me to run," Jordan said. He wouldn't give names.

Jordan said Lake County Sheriff Roy Dominguez, a Democrat, is his friend, but Dominguez was not one of the people who approached him. Jordan said Dominguez endorsed Klein at a recent Klein fund-raiser.

Dominguez acknowledges he addressed the crowd at Klein's fund-raiser and spoke fondly of the mayor, whom he called "a good person and a good family man." But the sheriff insists he did not endorse the Republican incumbent.

Michelle Fajman, chairwoman of the Crown Point Democratic Party, is upset with Dominguez's comments.

"I found it very distasteful that the sheriff, a high-ranking Democratic official, endorsed a Republican candidate, especially prior to us announcing who our candidate would be," she said.

Fajman said she's happy Jordan wants to enter the race.

"We're eager to have him at the top of the ticket. He's a great businessman," she said, adding that his past Republican affiliation doesn't matter. "To us that shows he can work with both sides.He did vote Democrat in the last primary and would be welcome on our ticket."

Jordan didn't want to discuss how he would change the city, saying "I don't want to knock Klein yet."

But he did mention the city's Fire Department, which has been without a permanent chief since Mark Oster resigned in September. Oster accused the mayor of meddling too much in department business.

"If I win, I'm going to work with each department and respect each department," Jordan said. "They know their job better than anyone."
Big Dog

Postby flyby » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:38 am

Anyone but Klein!
flyby

Postby Ray Gun » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:48 am

Anyone who want to run against Klein has to file their application by 2-23-07! A credible canidate could whip his ass. Anyone?
Ray Gun

Local developer to challenge Klein for mayor

Postby Ray Gun » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:22 am

Local developer to challenge Klein for mayor

CROWN POINT: Dan Jordan says his experience would help guide growth

CROWN POINT | Crown Point Realtor and developer Dan Jordan filed Friday for the Democratic nomination for city mayor.

Jordan said he received about 25 phone calls urging him to run after state Rep. Bob Kuzman, D-Crown Point, opted against challenging Mayor Dan Klein for the city office.

"I think there should be some changes made here," Jordan said. "I want to work with all the departments like I did in Schererville. ... Each individual police department, planning commission and fire has its own group. If there's a problem, I'll talk to one and straighten it out. It seems like they're having lots of problems with Klein."
Jordan, who moved to Crown Point in 1996, said he has been involved in politics for more than 30 years. He was involved with the Schererville Police Commission, Town Council, Plan Commission and in economic development.

The 77-year-old has bounced between voting as a Democrat and Republican, saying he votes based on who's running, not along party lines. He voted as a Democrat in the 2006 primary, which made him eligible for the Democratic nomination this year.

Jordan and his son run Master Marketing Jordan Realty in Crown Point, which has developed subdivisions throughout the area. He said his experience with land development would be helpful in guiding the city through its booming growth.

"We're on the verge of being very populated, and I think we gotta watch what's going on," he said.

Michelle Fajman, chairwoman of the Crown Point Democratic Party, said she was thrilled that Jordan decided to run for the city's mayoral seat.

"I think he's a great candidate," she said.

Filing for Crown Point city offices continues through noon Feb. 23.

BY MARISA KWIATKOWSKI
Date posted online: Saturday, February 03, 2007
nwi times
Ray Gun

Postby Ray Gun » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:02 pm

Former police officer in race for city mayor
CROWN POINT: Democrat files for office, makes primary a contest

CROWN POINT | A third candidate entered Crown Point's mayoral race Wednesday when former city police officer David Uran filed as a Democrat.

Uran, 38, is a former member of the Crown Point Board of Zoning Appeals, a former president of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 176 in Crown Point and a 13-year veteran of the Crown Point Police Department.
He resigned in 2003 to become a loan officer for a Michigan City bank.

Uran made an unsuccessful bid for the 1st District City Council seat in 1999.

He resigned as a 3rd Precinct committeeman for the local Democratic Party in 2004. At the time, Uran said he was frustrated the party didn't endorse candidates before the 2003 Democratic primary.

Uran will be up against 77-year-old developer Dan Jordan in the Democratic primary May 8. Mayor Dan Klein is the only Republican candidate to file so far. The candidate filing period ends next week

Date posted online: Thursday, February 15, 2007
nwitimes online
Ray Gun

Postby Ray Gun » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:13 pm

Mayor sees progress where I smell a rat

Mayor Dan Klein is unhappy with my insinuation that his land grab of four houses on Summit Street was for the benefit of a strip mall developer and not just for the City of Crown Point.

Four houses east of Main Street went down. A strip mall went up where the Merz machine factory was, with a parking lot and retention pond where houses once stood.

My take was that the city was less than candid about taking the homes under the pretext of widening Summit Street.
"It was my decision to take those houses," Klein said. "Does it help the developer? It helped, but what you are insinuating is incorrect. You should have called the planning department."

So I asked, did you widen Summit? "No. But we plan to," Klein said, adding the mixed metaphor that the Summit widening "is still high on my radar."

So you put down curbs and asphalt just so it could be torn up? "The developer put in those curbs," Klein said. "I can't speak as to who laid the asphalt."

What if he loses this year's election and the widening goes off the radar? "As long as I'm in office, that won't change," he said, avoiding the unpleasant topic of losing.

How about a timetable? "We don't have one," he said. "We don't have the money yet, but we're contemplating doing it with Major Moves money. Whether it happened now or three years from now, there were going to be people affected."

OK. So why not let the people live there until you're ready to move? Could it have been that there was an eminent domain law pending that would have given the homeowners 150 percent value on their property?

"We didn't use eminent domain," he said. "We were up front with these people."

If Summit is to be widened on both the east and west sides of Main Street, it will force the relocation of an auto dealership on the southwest side of the street. But there was no action against the car lot.

"We're not at that point yet," Klein said. "The immediate need was the homes because of Merz machine coming down." Klein said he was concerned that the new strip mall would affect the "quality of life" for the homeowners. Yeah, that machine factory was so much easier on the eyes.

Bottom line: Houses down, strip mall up, Summit not widened and no timetable to widen it. What if it's a pipe dream?

"Given the crap that goes on in Lake County, I can understand why you'd say that," Klein said. "But we have to have people who look to the future. Progress is change, and some people don't like change.

"I can see we are not going to agree on this," Klein said, and I agreed with him.

We'd also probably agree I'd make a lousy mayor. But I'd have had my bulldozers in line before I forced people out of their homes.

The opinions are solely those of the writer. He can be reached at markk@nwitimes.com or (219) 933-4170.
Date posted online: Friday, February 09, 2007
Ray Gun

Postby flyby » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:03 am

Ray Gun wrote:Anyone who want to run against Klein has to file their application by 2-23-07! A credible canidate could whip his ass. Anyone?

We need a credible republican canidate! Any takers?
flyby

Postby flyby » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:05 am

Two challene CP mayor in primary
Crown Point loan officer, coach in mayoral race for May primary

CROWN POINT -- Two people are now vying to be Mayor Dan Klein's Democratic challenger in the November general election.
David Uran, 38, a loan officer and high school basketball coach, filed his declaration of candidacy Wednesday for the May primary. He joins developer Dan Jordan, 77, who filed last week.

"I've been a Democrat my whole life," Uran said.

Jordan, who runs run Master Marketing Jordan Realty in Crown Point, has frequently jumped between party lines throughout his political career. He was chairman of the St. John Township Democratic Party and served as a Republican appointee to the Lake County Property Tax Assessment Board of Appeals.

Uran was a Crown Point police officer for 13 years until 2003 and served on the Board of Zoning Appeals from 1999 to 2003 under former Mayor James Metros, a Democrat.

Uran now runs the Crown Point loan office of Michigan City-based City Savings Bank and is in his fifth season as head coach of Hanover Central's boys basketball team.

He grew up in Cedar Lake, attended Hanover Central and moved to Crown Point in 1990. He and his wife, Kati, have four children ages 5 to 11.

"I have a different view of where the city needs to go," he said. "I've always been the kind of person who, if I have ideas, not to tell somebody else to do them. I like to roll up my sleeves myself."

He said the Interstate 65 and U.S. 231 interchange is a valuable piece of land that's "desolate and needs to be developed."

While commercial development is important for job opportunities, it shouldn't take away from residential growth, he said, referring to homes on Summit Street that were nixed to build a Starbucks.

Uran said several city employees, whom he wouldn't name, encouraged him to run.

In talking about their management styles, both Jordan and Uran alluded to power struggles between Klein and city department heads -- the most public being the September resignation of Fire Chief Mark Oster, who accused Klein of meddling too much in department business.

"I'm not a dictator," Uran said. "I'm not going to micromanage. We have people who can run their departments correctly."

Similarly, Jordan said last week, "If I win, I'm going to work with each department and respect each department. They know their jobs better than anyone."

February 16, 2007
BY CAROLINA PROCTER Post-Tribune
flyby

Postby -={ARCLIGHT}=- » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:17 pm

-={ARCLIGHT}=-

Postby Ray Gun » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:13 am

Five vie for Crown Point mayor's post
3 Democrats, 2 Republicans to face off in May 8 primary

CROWN POINT | Infrastructure, growth and the downtown are among the top issues in this year's Crown Point mayoral primary races.

Incumbent Mayor Dan Klein faces Gayle Van Sessen for the Republican nomination in the May 8 primary. Dan Jordan, Karin Mason and David Uran are vying for the Democratic nod.

Klein is running for his second term as mayor. He said a city ethics ordinance, a transformed downtown and a character initiative are examples of achievements in his first three years in office.
Klein, 51, said he has been unfairly criticized for his sometimes tenuous relationships with some city departments.

"I'm always a firm believer in giving people the tools they need to do their jobs," Klein said. "But I am not afraid to challenge anyone that is trying to affect what a Crown Point citizen pays in taxes."

Klein said if he is elected to another four years, he will work on getting a city Youth Sports Commission off the ground. He also wants to build a sports complex and continue controlled development.

Van Sessen, 53, said her 13 years of experience at the helm of the Greater Crown Point Area Chamber of Commerce gives her ample experience to run the city.

"I think that when you manage a nonprofit organization, regardless of the size of the budget, the theories are the same," she said. "You can't make money, but you have to be efficient."

The city needs to be more effective at planning years in advance with budgets and a capital improvement plan that labels what needs to be done and sources of funding, Van Sessen said.

Jordan said his government experience in Schererville and ability to analyze budgets make him qualified for the mayoral office.

Jordan, 77, has 30 years experience in politics. He was on the Schererville Police Commission, Town Council, Plan Commission and has worked in economic development.

"I want to work with the Fire Department and Police Department," he said. "One of the main things in town is the safety of the community."

Mason said she wants to see improved infrastructure for existing residents.

"Everyone in the city of Crown Point is entitled to safe drinking water, city sewer, streetlights, street curbs," she said. "Annexing is good, but take care of old business first."

Mason said she also would like to see the city build a new multilevel municipal center, rather than having departments spread out in a number of buildings.

Uran, 38, said parts of Crown Point have been neglected. He would like to bring those residents' concerns to the table.

"My vision (for Crown Point) is a little different," he said. "There have been stagnant times when Crown Point missed the boat. Now we have to go back and do it, but it will cost more."

Uran is a former member of the Crown Point Board of Zoning Appeals, a licensed insurance and health agent, a former president of Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 176 in Crown Point and a 13-year veteran of the Crown Point Police Department.

Uran said improvements need to be balanced among all areas of the city.

The area near the Interstate 65 and U.S. 231 interchange should be developed by now, he said.

Date posted online: Sunday, April 08, 2007
BY MARISA KWIATKOWSKI
mkwiatkowski@nwitimes.com
Ray Gun

Return to Crown Point