Katrina and the Waves

General Discussion board for anything related to Crown Point not covered in other forums.

Katrina and the Waves

Postby WallyWorld Girl » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:51 am

As is every major event in recent US history, the media has tried to portray Hurricane Katrina in it's most realistic light. Trying to uncover those happy moments but none the less letting pictures tell the truth. My hat being tossed into the ring with this question. What if families from the south, the victims of the hurricane, were transplanted here in Crown Point? What reaction would this town display? Who would we be not to show support? This and other billion dollar questions still need attention as time goes by :idea:
WallyWorld Girl

Postby hot tina » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:45 pm

As the looted the stores on the square we would shoot them.
hot tina

Postby tracy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:49 am

It really saddens me to once again realize that racism is alive and well in Crown Point. Growing up in Crown Point I guess I didn't see it as much, my parents did a wonderful job teaching us tolerance and acceptance of others no matter what. I ended up falling in love and marrying an African American,we have been married eleven years now. I would have to honestly say that for all of the places we have lived, visiting Crown Point to spend time with my parents has proven to be the most uncomfortable place for me and my husband to spend time. I do not understand the mentality of my hometown at all. For someone to say that they would "shoot the looters" if they came to town just proves to me that there is a major undercurrent in Crown Point of blatant racism towards African Americans. I think Crown Point should implement tolerance programs in their schools if they are not already doing so (which I doubt because they don't even honor Dr. Martin Luther King with a day off of school) to try and break down generation after generation of racism.
tracy

Postby steve1234567890 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:57 pm

do you think tolerance programs would work. Its kind of like the idea that sex ed in schools is enough.
steve1234567890

Postby WallyWorld Girl » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:25 pm

The subject was hurricane relief. Period. Not looters, not racism and not sex education. If you can't reply to the question of what we as Crown Point is doing to lend a helping hand for those who lost everything in life then do not twist the issue into something you think has meaning. Fingering pointing gets you no where. You live in a nice house, with nice things, even a computer. New Orleans is a ghost town the radio said today. No one cares how you FEEL on the matter. All you can do is ACT on the matter.
WallyWorld Girl

Postby steve1234567890 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:35 pm

I don't think that many people from new orleans or the surrounding area will ever show up in Crown Point. Most of them are staying closer to home.

From what I've seen of people ignoring poverty that is nearby and spending money to go on mission trips across the country I would think that they would be better off (as far as getting help from crown point) if they stayed out of crown point. For example there is poverty all over northwest indiana even in crown point and you never hear of people taking time to help the people that are already here.
steve1234567890

Postby tracy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:31 pm

You are absolutely right. Although, I couldn't let "Hot Tina" show such disrespect for a whole race of people which includes my husband and kids.

I know that in the state where I live, a couple placed an ad to care for a family for a year to help them get on their feet. In their ad they listed such things as job availability, and then people from their local community donated what they needed. I would like to think that Crown Point could do the same if someone would be willing to organize it.

I realize there are thousands of people in need of help. I don't know, it is such a horrible situation.
tracy

Return to Crown Point