Bulldogs on the Square

General Discussion board for anything related to Crown Point not covered in other forums.

Postby hot tina » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:47 pm

This is the last week to see the bulldogs. They all come down next week. :cry:
hot tina

Postby -={ARCLIGHT}=- » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:13 am

hot tina wrote:This is the last week to see the bulldogs. They all come down next week. :cry:

Thank Goodness!
-={ARCLIGHT}=-

Postby JD » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:08 pm

Not that I'm complaining about them being removed ... but why? I thought they were all special'n stuff. Is it just a "let's protect them from the idiot teens and the halloween crowd" thing? or is more that someone has come to their senses about these things. ( secretly (or not so secretly :grin: ) I don't like them to begin with but I'll spare the sarcasm for a bit :halo: )

JD - wondering why they're being yanked.
Life is like a sewer.
What you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
-- Tom Lehrer
JD

Postby -={ARCLIGHT}=- » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:03 am

They will be auctioned off October 15th at the Fair Grounds.
-={ARCLIGHT}=-

Postby Big Dog » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:54 am

How much is that doggie?

BY CHRISTINE BRYANT
Times Correspondent
CROWN POINT | How much is that doggie dressed like a bullfrog? $2,570.

That's how much the owner of a local pub dished out Saturday to win the sculpture named, "I Thought You Said Bullfrog!"

Tim Heidbreder, owner of Buddy and Pals Place in Crown Point, took part in a 20-minute bidding war for the sculpture, which was one of 18 auctioned off at the Lake County Fairgrounds. The Stewards of the Square Dog Gone Auction fetched thousands of dollars for physical enhancement projects in the downtown area.

When fiberglass bulldogs first began to line the downtown streets of Crown Point this summer, organizers had no idea how overwhelmingly successful the project would be.

By the summer's end, the Stewards of the Square project, which included 58 sculptures, created a sense of community pride and brought families back to the downtown area.

"A lot of people thought, 'What were they thinking?' when we first started the project," said Carol Drasga, member of the Stewards of the Square. "This was a shocking success. It just stunned us how popular it was."

The bulldogs -- each with its own artistic flair -- were purchased earlier this year by businesses and individuals and then displayed throughout the city for residents and visitors to enjoy. Eighteen of the statues were donated back to the organization for Saturday's auction.

A small portion of the proceeds will go to the Lake County Animal Shelter, with about 98 percent going toward improvement projects. Some ideas that have been thrown around by the organization's members include bike racks, kiosks and public art.

"This group is made of people who love the square and don't want to see it fall victim like many towns," artist coordinator Jill Beckham said.

Heidbreder said he was very pleased with his purchase.

"I had no idea it was going to go for that much," he said.

The sculpture, which fits nicely with his sports bar's theme of frogs, will be placed somewhere where the public can enjoy the piece of art as much as he will, he said.

"Gene," another dog in high demand at the auction, sold for $950 to a small animal wellness center owner from Monee, Ill.

"The dog will be sitting in the front lawn at the hospital," winner Lynlee Wessels said.

Because of this year's success, Stewards of the Square members are planning a similar project for next summer that will feature County Seat sculptures painted by local artists using their own unique ideas and designs.

Like the bulldogs, they will be displayed on street corners, in parks and in front of businesses throughout Crown Point.
Big Dog

Previous

Return to Crown Point