Circle in the square

Discussion board for anything related to Crown Point Restaurants.

Circle in the square

Postby -={ARCLIGHT}=- » Fri May 13, 2005 10:29 pm

[url=http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/05/13/news/lake_county/570334d08f739d3786257000000327f3.txt]Circle in the square

CROWN POINT: Restaurant owner wants to bring family-oriented spot to the downtown
[/url]

ALLISON FASHEK wrote:CROWN POINT | Another restaurant will make a go of it on the downtown square this summer.

Owner John Dessauer plans to open The Circle at 108 and 110 S. Main St. in July. The restaurant will feature American-Italian food served family style with separate bar and dining areas.

The spot was previously home to the cafes Cynthia's and Natty's.

"We're trying to fill the void in Crown Point of a family restaurant on the square," Dessauer said. "I think that's something that's missing."

The site now is undergoing extensive remodeling, with the restaurant's bar being restored to the antique tin of the 1920s. It also will feature 10 42-inch, flat-screen televisions for sports fans, Dessauer said.

On Wednesday night, the Historic Preservation Commission approved proposed exterior renovations for the building, including installation of navy blue awnings, board member Paul Bremer said. The work likely will be eligible for funding from the city's new downtown facade restoration grant program.

Personally, I am psyched that we are getting a new restaurant, but I am puzzled. Isn't Twelve Islands a family restaurant? Doesn't Lucretia's have Italian food?
-={ARCLIGHT}=-

Postby steve1234567890 » Sun May 15, 2005 7:33 pm

what is "american-italian" is it canned pasta like chef boyardi products?
steve1234567890

Restaurant owner wants to bring 'fire' to the square

Postby Food Guy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:40 am

CROWN POINT | The city is considering a request from the owner of a new restaurant to liven up the square with outdoor dining and a potential annual party on Parry Court.

Tory Prasco, owner of the yet-to-open Circle Restaurant and Bar, asked the Board of Public Works and Safety on Wednesday for approval to place tables on sidewalks fronting Main Street and possibly Parry Court. Prasco said he wasn't sure if the restaurant would attempt to serve people off the side street, since the pavement is so uneven.

While this is not the first time a downtown restaurant has requested approval to put tables outdoors, board members weren't sure how wide the sidewalks were in the proposed area or how many feet they'd required other businesses to maintain for pedestrians. The group delayed making a decision until its next meeting to gather more details and provide consistent guidelines.

Prasco said outdoor dining will create ambiance and bring some "fire" to the square.

"If you're driving through and you see people sitting outside, I think that does a lot for the city," he said.

Prasco also said he'd noticed that the city's master plan proposes closing Parry Court and making it a public courtyard, a move he favors. He asked the board to consider allowing the restaurant access to the courtyard for a grand opening party around July 18 and an annual party to mark the anniversary.

Board member Mike Conquest said he liked the idea but wondered if other restaurants could be included.

Mayor Dan Klein said he's already talked with someone from Twelve Islands Restaurant, 114 South Main St., about using the space for a Greek Festival.

nwitimes 7/1/05
Food Guy

Postby Black Mamba » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:42 pm

They did an amazing job with this place. Decor is as good as most restaurants in Chicago. Food was great. We went with the family style dining which was generous portions of great food served family style. It's nice to see more restaurants of this type come to the downtown.
Black Mamba

Postby Up All Night » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:46 am

I have been to the circle a couple of times not. The food is good. The service has been slow at times but seems to be improving. It's great to get a table outside and dine in the shadow of the square. I am hoping more bussiness like this continue to open in the downtown.
Up All Night

Clueless

Postby Dr. Lee » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:07 am

To start on a positive note: decor is very nice. I did have some good linguini with clams.

However, the owners seem to be clueless. One night, I had chicken Marsala and couldn't taste the Marsala. Another night, I had a hamburger, ordered med.-rare, which came out bloody. If the cook can't make a hamburger, there is a problem.

I went in for lunch last Monday and was told by the bartender that the owners thought business was slow, so they decided not to serve food on Monday. I was in the business for for five years. I have never heard of such a thing. Most businesses would try to lure in more customers. This must be a sign the business is in trouble.

Other things have bothered me, though. You look at little things, like the server knowing what beer is on tap so you don't have to go to the bar to look for yourself; or the server knowing to bring grated cheese for your entree. Or asking a question about an entree to the server and he/she can't intelligently answer it. What does this mean? The people who own the place don't know anything about the restaurant business or they simply don't care about the details. Either way, these things keep me from wanting to return or to suggest it to other people.

I've heard numerous and similar complaints from others I've talked to. This place has a lot of potential, but if it doesn't get in gear, it will end up another failed restaurant in Crown Point.
Dr. Lee

Has improved

Postby Dr. Lee » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:06 pm

Since my last post...service has improved a lot. Servers are friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. The pan fried perch and pot roast sandwich is very good. Beer is still cold and there is a good selection.
Dr. Lee

Return to Restaurants