StarBucks

Discussion board for anything related to Nightlife.

StarBucks

Postby WallyWorld Girl » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:42 pm

On the corner of Summit and Main, the coming of StarBucks is in the works. A step in the right direction. Go downtown Chicago and there's one on almost every corner. How corporate strength coffee will effect our home-spun yum of PopCulture will go to show-Commercial vs Bohemian and who's the java master of Crown Town.
WallyWorld Girl

Postby Ray Gun » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:36 am

I like pop culture. I hope that it doesn't get run out of town by starbucks. I doubt it will though because I think a lot of people feel the way I do.
Ray Gun

Postby Mica » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:12 pm

Is Pop Culture the new place next to Main St. Cafe?
Mica

Postby bull dog » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:48 am

Yea. It's a pretty cool place. They have free internet access and awesome coffee. The place has a cool vibe, you should check it out.
bull dog

Postby steve1234567890 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:04 pm

I went to pop culture once and thought the coffee was too weak. and the place was overrun with middleschool kids and that doesn't help make the place relaxing at all. Which is why I prefer starbucks.
steve1234567890

Starbucks' coffee sucks

Postby Dr. Lee » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:39 am

I roast my own coffee beans. I want to let you know that Starbucks coffee is basically burnt beans. The corporate policy is that each store must use their beans within a ninety day period. Coffee has a fresh shelf life of about a week.

Keep Starbucks out. Keep Pop Culture in! Starbucks is the Walmart of coffee houses.
Dr. Lee

Postby WallyWorld Girl » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:30 pm

You can argue that its in the beans...but to be real, sometimes getting the variety of people in a coffee house makes the experience. I admit that I go to Starbucks (only when it's apart of Barnes and Noble) for better people watching and classical music. I think this town is big enough for both.
WallyWorld Girl

Postby steve1234567890 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:53 pm

90 days! seems strange since when I used to have an 8am drawing class and would hit starbucks drive through they would always have 2 big backs (probably 20 pounds each) sitting outside the front door every tuesday. Maybe the bagged coffee sits around longer but if you think about it the coffee is old by the time it gets in the store anyway. Its sat around as a green bean before being roasted and roasted coffee lasts 2 weeks if your lucky but it sits in a warehouse and the only thing really saving it from going stale is that its in a bag with a one way airlock.

and as WallyWorld Girl mentioned its not just about the coffee but the company associated with it and I for one prefer people quietly reading books and people watching to the alternative of annoying middle schoolers (thats all I've ever seen in pop-culture)
steve1234567890

Postby JD » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:17 am

Personally, I'm not impressed with starbucks. They're over-priced and their coffee is not impressive.

I agree that the people make or break the environment though. Bad coffee amongst a good crowd is better than good coffee amongst dweebs any day. :P

There has been email circulating that starbucks officially denounces the war and the soldiers. Being email, I of course want to find out if it's just idiot spam or if that's their position. ... but if it's their official stance, even if the local shop decides to think otherwise, they'll have a hard time convincing this vet to darken their doorway.

Anyone seen any non-email-circulated info on that?

JD - hopes it's just idiot spammers
Life is like a sewer.
What you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
-- Tom Lehrer
JD

Postby steve1234567890 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:59 pm

they have a message about that on their website about how they had been asked to donate and because the ARMY isn't a non-profit they couldn't. I think thats what it was atleast. That guy who wrote the initial letter has been sending out an email appoligizing for jumping to conclutions.
steve1234567890

Starbucks, Pop Culture

Postby dmorton76 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:51 am

Yay.. just what we need.. Starbucks.. cant a person go anywhere without seeing their advertisements for over priced bad tasting coffee? and is it just me or does it seem like CP had turned into a college town at times with the bars and coffee houses..
Drew Morton
Crown Point.
dmorton76

Postby steve1234567890 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:54 pm

hmmm when you take into consideration that they buy coffee at a higher price in order to help farmers survive from selling coffee instead of growing drugs, or think about the volunteer work that their employees do, or the used grounds you can get for your garden... its not really too much for a cup of coffee.
steve1234567890

Re: Starbucks, Pop Culture

Postby JD » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:40 am

dmorton76 wrote:Yay.. just what we need.. Starbucks.. cant a person go anywhere without seeing their advertisements for over priced bad tasting coffee? and is it just me or does it seem like CP had turned into a college town at times with the bars and coffee houses..

Sadly, no.
dmorton76 wrote:Yay.. just what we need.. Starbucks.. cant a person go anywhere without seeing their advertisements for over priced bad tasting coffee? and is it just me or does it seem like CP had turned into a college town at times with the bars and coffee houses..

I don't share Steve's enthusiasm for Starbucks. Their coffee is not on my favorites list. They're the McDonalds of coffee. It's all warm and fuzzy that the company reaches out to the community but then again, it's to make a buck. That's why they're their. Better tasting coffee would be a benefit. :P

Also, on the notice mentioned, other organizations donate to military forces. That sounds a tad weird. It's still in the "unverified" box for me. :P

Not really. I've lived in collge towns and this ain't one of them. ... It's trying though. :mrgreen:

JD - the one what snickers from time to time :lol:
Life is like a sewer.
What you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
-- Tom Lehrer
JD

Postby WallyWorld Girl » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:50 pm

Great coffee beans a flame! Finally after all this time, Starbucks with the jazz playing and perky women behind the frother has come forth! I was there on family and friends day, the day before the grand opening and was excited to hold my free Blackberry Green Tea in hand. I looked around and felt compared to the Merriville stripmall Starbucks, the walls needed alittle more artwork but the windows at the front were warm and inviting. Just wondering what's moving in next door? :shock:
WallyWorld Girl

Return to Nightlife